Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 14, 2013 09:21PM

Is there going to be any discussion of the Riskas' book deconstructing mormonism?

Riskas has posted an opening thread on the Deconstructing Mormonism forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tomriskas ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 02:07PM

Hi. There's a discussion underway between me and one other person in the thread "Let's Get Started" in the DM Forum, if you're interested. So far, that's it for now, and for some reason(s) I'm not aware of.

If you'd like to participate, please feel free. I'm available to any and all who have read or are currently reading the book.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 04:20PM

I'm excited to join and I have a ton Of questions and observations, but I am just getting started with the text. I've had it for a week and plan on taking my time.

Date: June 19, 2013 05:19PM

Great. Welcome aboard. Excited to have you.

Take your time. If you have questions while you're reading, please don't hestate to ask. If the answers you seek are further into the chapter you're in, or have been addressed in another DM thread, either I or others will let you know and cite the pages or thread that might address your questions.

If, alternatively, you have insights, experiences, observations,
reactions or concerns to share relative to what you have either read or are currently reading in the book, please also feel free to do so. Again, if your reactions or concerns are addressed further into the book or have been addressed in a previous thread, I or others will say so, and cite the pages or thread for reference, or might respond in kind or with different thoughts and perspectives.

If, however, you merely want to chit-chat or comment on topics not "directly" related to the book, I would ask that you please do so on another forum. This forum, again, is dedicated to better understanding, discussing and engaging in dialogue about the views, arguments, content and conclusions contained in the book.

Cheers!

Tom

PS. If you haven't had a chance to read the my recent
(and rather extensive) "Introduction" threads (parts 1 and 2) I posted in this dedicated forum, I suggest you do so for background through an extensive Q&A into the discussions we've had so far that address certain questions regarding the analytical approach I use in the book and the work of Kai Nielsen, whose extensive and esteemed body of work and approach to Atheism has been so instrumental to mine.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 09:16AM

Thank You Tom. I was hoping to finish Chapter 2 before I officially join the discussion. See you soon!

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 05:23PM

I'm looking forward to reading your book but it was all sold out last I checked. Any idea when it might be available again?

Date: June 19, 2013 05:34PM

No idea at this time, but will check back with the publisher and let you and other what I learn.

Meanwhile, I think there is a pdf of the book on the internet if you Google "Deconstructing Mormonism," or I would be willing to share a pdf of the book if you'd like.

Posted by: Peter Gunz ( )
Date: December 17, 2013 07:52PM

Just saw this post, but long time lurker and sometime poster. Can I get a PDF of the book? I just graduated college and don't start work until late January so my funds are low at the moment for a hardcopy.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 19, 2013 09:26PM

Glad to hear a discussion is starting. I'm just an interested observer since I haven't read the book. Maybe I'll look for the PDF.

There were a few non-regular posters, like darkfem, who sounded geared up for a discussion but disappeared.

I hope it gets rolling!

Date: June 19, 2013 09:44PM

Thanks Thinks. Darkfem communicated that she does in fact intend to participate after she fulfills some academic commitments.

Like you, I hope others participate, or follow along as well.

Thanks for your interest.

PS: If you have a difficult time getting the pdf on line and would like me to share my pdf of the book with you, please let me know by emailing me at tjriskas@yahoo.com.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: June 20, 2013 08:22AM

Wow, I never thought I'd be missed! Thanks, thingsithink, for noticing:)

As Tom has mentioned, I have been swamped with deadlines and travel lately. But I am still eager to discuss DM, when things settle down for me at the end of the month.

I hope you can get a copy, too, ThiTh!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.