Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 05:40PM

So if you read this you could easily find out where my eldest is a missionary. Why? Because Bednar said something like this to my daughter and she wrote it in her email.

Getting a visit from an apostle to your mission is a "once in a lifetime opportunity" because very seldom do Apostles speak to just one mission and usually they speak to many missions at the one time.

He also gave them homework before his speech. They had to read several of his talks and be prepared to answer his questions. He quizzed them.

And my daughter said it was kinda funny to have white kids speaking to him in Spanish and him listening to a translator and replying in English.

Sheesh. Day of Pentecost my ass.

What a pretentious prick. What a "humble servant of The Lord."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 06:40PM

Read selections of his talks to be quizzed? Hmmm, being 18 is a hard age, they are so impressionable, so believing, I'm guessing your kids hang on every word an older man tells them. But be assured, They'll eventually mature. For me it took a few years after that though....

Date: November 14, 2019 01:01PM

Well he told many young people this.

“Sister Bednar and I are incapable of answering the questions you will ask,”
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/elder-bednar-teaches-byu-i-students-a-pattern-for-getting-their-questions-answered?lang=eng

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 06:52PM

How ridiculous it was! The translator, etc. And having them read his talks so they could answer his questions. What is the point in visiting if he didn't have something NEW to tell them?

And since I don't keep up on where Bednar is traveling, I have no clue where your daughter is at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 06:53PM by cl2.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:26PM

that he lost track of time and didn't have anything prepared for his visit, so he thought it would be a genius move to have the missionaries ask him questions about talks he has given in the past.

Less work for him.

Sounds like a pretty standard Mormon "Apostle" move to me.

Funny thing is, I think I could actually draft a 30-minute Mormon Apostle sermon (addressed to missionaries) in probably less than 15 minutes. They're always about 90% platitudes, cliches and standard catch phrases. All you need is a slightly funny little "personal anecdote" to start it off and maybe a famous quote from Bartlett's.

Then you just string together the boiler plate expressions, with some pauses inserted for dramatic effect.

These are the latter days...and you have been called to perform a sacred work...a great harvesting is underway...many souls are waiting for you to bring to them this gift that is most precious...lives will be changed...the adversary will do all that he can do to throw obstacles in your way and to divert you from this great work and the path of righteousness...pray for guidance and it will be given to you...are you worthy of the promptings of the Holy Ghost? Do you listen to your leaders' wise counsel? Do not waste this precious time, for you will be accountable....yadda...yadda...and yadda, with a twist of blah, blah, blah and yackety, yackety, goo-goo and ga ga...with a side order of caca and doodoo....

I say this in the name of G.Zeus Chrysler. Amen.

Elder Bloatimus Eggo will now accept faith-promoting questions from the missionaries.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:11PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:27PM

You beat me to it! PREEN! PREEN! PREEN!!

When they first trotted Bednar out, years ago, I remember thinking, "Huh. He's not just another old fossil. Maybe there is hope for this one."

Boy, did I call that one wrong!! He is nothing more than a suit with an expensive haircut and a massive ego.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 02:33AM

WP:

I quickly read that 'a great harvesting is UNDERWEAR'...

just where did that come from, he wonders...

my.bad.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:13AM

"Walking in My Winter Underwear"

or do you mean the Utah version, "Walking in My Mormon Underwear"?

Most missionaries' underwear is ripe and ready to be harvested...for culture specimens...so it fits, and probably better than their underwear fits.

Date: November 14, 2019 05:13AM

Date: November 14, 2019 11:54AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most missionaries' underwear is ripe and ready to
> be harvested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 07:03PM

>>He also gave them homework before his speech. They had to read several of his talks and be prepared to answer his questions. He quizzed them.

If you are giving me homework, then you had better be giving me college credit. I don't even do that for my job. If you want me to read a journal article, I will be happy to do so during my team meeting, or while otherwise on the clock.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 07:57PM

Since all those missionaries are VOLUNTEERS how about them quizzing His Royal Highness on the validity of the doctrine they are told to teach? How about HRH reporting to THEM how valuable they are to the corporation. How much good they are doing in the world. Oh, yeah, and how about HRH reporting on his productivity and what he has done to help them and cheer them and make their work a little easier.

Can we say GIANT EGO boys and girls?

While president at Ricks College, HRH (Bednar) would not let the students call him President. He was to be called by the title of Elder because Elder is a higher rank than President. Geeeesh!!!!

The best teachers I ever had refused the titles of Professor or Doctor. They would tell us to just call them Fred or Mike and their doors/offices were always open to us students. Had it not been for the truly caring teachers I've had over the years, I doubt I would have gone one to do my graduate work.

I'd like to see how far HRH gets preaching to adults who are NOT converted by means of indoctrination from birth. I imagine he'd be a real flop giving a speech to any other volunteer group or university students outside the Church Education System and BYU's.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 09:13PM

fuck calling him Elder or President. I'd call him Davy and he ought to be glad i took the time to acknowledge his sorry excuse of an existence.

Date: November 13, 2019 10:09PM

as in "Elder Bednob" of "Elder Bedjar".

But I wouldn't be able to not make a joke out of his pretensions one way or another.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 09:35PM

If Bednar entered a room I was in, I would feel it necessary to leave just to make sure there was plenty of room for his ego.

Date: November 13, 2019 10:30PM

...because he demands that the lights always remain turned off until he arrives, so as to save electricity.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:41PM

I command you, my serfs, to study me and be prepared to play me back on demand. For I am but a humble servant, etc.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 10:44PM

Why does the church always get the apostles it deserves?

Date: November 13, 2019 11:00PM

People would look at Packer and wonder: "When the day comes and the Lord calls Elder Packer back to the spirit realm, will this leave a hole? Will there be...can there ever be...another who will be able to fill the shoes of this exceedingly pompous and perfect as*hole? Is anyone waiting in the wings who can supply the masochistic sheep with that exquisite blend of condescension, arrogance, pomposity, cruelty and sociopathic coldness that Packer so generously bestowed upon all common folk he ever encountered, without hesitation or reservation?"

But, just when it seemed that the Church was down one perfect as*hole, Elder Bedjar stepped forward and proclaimed: "I am here. Have no fear, for I may have long been an as*hole in my own right, but from this day forward I will redouble my commitment, such that my condescension, arrogance, pomposity and cold indifference will exceed that of two perfect as*holes, nay, make that half a dozen perfect as*holes. That's what is needed and I accept the calling."

And the masochistic members of the Church wept with joy in anticipation of the unending stream of abuse, ridicule, condemnation and humiliation that was promised.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:34PM

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Even the sure sign of the nail!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 04:07AM

My little factory is still waiting for an apology. It will probably come with my tithing refund.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 03:00AM

Bednar stands a good chance of becoming grand poobah. That would be the best stimulus for those on the fence to get off it that I can think of at this time. I had hopes that Void KKK Pecker would fill that role, but other zombies stretched it out too long. It's been like Weekend At Bernie's remakes. Hoax would do, but that's probably not happening. The Dodo ... perhaps. Davy - he'd be the best since E Daft B or J Fielding S. Here's hoping he has a long life.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 01:28PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 01:32PM

A very good leader will lead by example, go the extra mile and isn't afraid to work with the followers. He/she will motivate people to work harder and not put others down if they fall short. A good mentor will help people to shine.

I've seen very little of this from church leaders.

Date: November 14, 2019 01:46PM

Having a robot try to make more is a difficult task. One has to convince the young to suppress their humanity in service to their robot masters.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 01:53PM

One real problem.
LDS are taught leadership is basically infallible. If you don't agree - or if you find something that they say or do that is not perfect or fits that mold - you keep quiet about it. "It is wrong to criticize the leaders, even if the criticism is true" - per Diddl'nDallin, the bald lawyer.

Truth is wrong if it conflicts with the Story.

This from "Trust Us - we will never lead you astray" even as they protect the liars, swindlers, molesters and general scrotes that too often make it to leadership.

You are taught to trust them no matter what. Makes it very difficult for many to admit they are questioning - especially when the answers are not in line with what they have been told is true.

Keeps many from leaving as they can't admit to themselves they have been fooled and led by liars.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 15, 2019 09:29PM

As the quip goes: Catholics claim Popes are infallible, but nobody believes it. Mormons claim "prophets" are fallible, but nobody believes it.

Date: November 16, 2019 12:24AM

What if God wanted to teach an object lesson by having his prophet appear to lead the church astray, when actually it was just an educational detour that was needed for spiritual growth and development?

What if the prophet was leading the church astray when he said that a prophet would never be allowed to lead the church astray?

+++++

It was the second "what if" question that always got me into trouble with Sunday School and Seminary teachers. They loved the first "what if" question.

Date: November 18, 2019 12:02PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> What if the prophet was leading the church astray
> when he said that a prophet would never be allowed
> to lead the church astray?

I love this question. In The Bible there are a few prophets who had to be "chastened" by their god. What examples do we have in Mormonism?

Date: November 19, 2019 03:23AM

any Mormon prophets directly (probably because God never talks to Mormon prophets).

But we do have plenty of examples of later Mormon prophets backhandedly repudiating previous Mormon prophets.

Most recently, we have Russell M. Nelson doing everything but spitting on photographs of Monson, Hinckley, et al with regard to the appropriateness of the Mormon nickname.

Hinckley once repudiated Nelson on the issue and after Hinckley died and Monson died, Nelson revived his pet peeve about the Mormon nickname as though Hinckley's and Monson's pronouncements counted for less than used toilet paper.

Monson had once even gone so far as to sing "I am a Mormon boy" in conference. So his spirit must have felt awfully chastised looking down at Nelson when Nelson was declaring in so many words that Monson had inflicted pain and suffering on Jesus with every line of that song.

Then of course there's Brigham Young's insistence that the god Mormons pray to is Adam and that all Mormons should know that. Subsequent Mormon prophets have treated that like "crazy uncle in the attic" stuff. Brigham Young's spirit should feel chastised, but he's too busy going to singles' bars in purgatory.

Date: November 19, 2019 11:18AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> any Mormon prophets directly (probably because God
> never talks to Mormon prophets).

Wait, wasn't the losing the 116 pages the event of a Mormon prophet chastised?

Date: November 19, 2019 12:38PM

It's a bit confusing because when Joe let Martin take the 116 pages, he claimed that God had given permission (albeit after being asked three times).

After giving permission, it seems like it was up to God to then make sure nothing bad happened to the pages. (Always weird how God's supernatural powers seem to be there one day and then seem to be completely missing in action the next day. God could turn Lot's wife into a pillar of salt just for looking in the wrong direction, but for some reason God couldn't keep Martin's wife from doing whatever she did with the 116 pages.)

Of course we know it wasn't God speaking. It was just Joe pretending to be God yelling at Joe about how Joe shouldn't have trusted Martin (all to make Martin feel really guilty).

In D&C 3, we get a great glimpse of how immature and petty God comes across when Joe is putting words into God's mouth.

Basically what happened is God told Joe no twice and then when Joe asked a third time God buckled under the pressure and gave permission. Then when Martin lost the 116 pages, "God" goes into a big, whiny "I told you so" rant (which was actually just Joe being angry at himself for buckling under Martin's persistent pressure to let him borrow the 116 pages). Then God finishes up the rant by basically saying that it's really no big deal for him, but it now means more work for Joe and Martin (who may have been guilted into making more donations to the project).

Just another dramatic event in the life of Joseph "God is my sock puppet" Smith, Jr.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:39PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> Just another dramatic event in the life of Joseph
> "God is my sock puppet" Smith, Jr.

Thanks for your clarifications. The hands change but the dirty sock remains the same.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 02:34PM

I hoped they asked questions about the parable of the pickle.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 02:35PM

Being so protected and coddled means this prick will never be confronted by anyone who will tell him to his face that he's a worthless evil spewing corporate lackey.

Date: November 15, 2019 11:05AM

He reminds me of someone....hmmmm….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Miscavige

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 18, 2019 01:40PM

After listening to the Mormon stories podcast on Scientology that was a beautiful comparison.

I shall think of him as Elder Miscavige. Or morph them together Elder Bedscavige

Date: November 18, 2019 01:58PM

How about Elder Bedscarnage? It fits with where he is doing some serious damage to young psyches.

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:32AM

Bednar sucks!

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 10:46PM

Bednar was the visiting GA at a stake conference when I was in high school, before he became an apostle. My father--as TBM as you can get, 4th-generation Mormon, a CES administrator for 40 years, and would NEVER say anything disparaging about THE BRETHREN--said afterward that shaking his hand was like shaking "a cold fish."

Date: November 18, 2019 01:02PM

I'm pretty sure that the more "evil" we say about Bednar the more he gloats that he is a pure and perfect man. Otherwise, why would the apostates who have fallen from grace need to attack?

Isn't it great how telling the truth makes him a martyr and leaving him alone let's him get away with his egoistic self promotion?

Religion is the ideal growth medium for slime.

Date: November 18, 2019 11:25PM

Doesn't his name sound like something you'd be shocked to find in your home...especially in your bed?

"Honey, I saw some bednars on the mattress. They've been known to spread diseases, like the bubonic plague. Should we get rid of the mattress or try to find something that we can spray that'll get rid of the bednars. Little Mindy is in such a frail condition. I'm afraid she's already been bitten by the bednars.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:07PM

I think it might do the church some good if it got kicked in the bednards..

Date: November 19, 2019 11:31AM

Pooped Wrote:
> Isn't it great how telling the truth makes him a
> martyr and leaving him alone let's him get away
> with his egoistic self promotion?

If you believe this is really a transcript of Bednar he might think everything is just as a "spiritual" fantasy as The Wizard of Oz is fictional.

Bednar thinks he is a wizard of Mormonism.

"Do you remember the movie The Wizard of Oz and this incredible, you know, wizard? And it's a little guy behind the green curtain pulling the levers. Remember that? Well, I don't want to make light of this, I'm not trying to be silly, but I'd like to take you behind the curtain a little bit on a couple of things because it is extraordinarily faith promoting."
https://mormoneye.blogspot.com/2018/02/transcript-of-elder-bednars-talk-in.html

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2267894,2267933#msg-2267933

Date: November 19, 2019 12:50PM

I heard that portion of the blog.

Yes, he is impressed with his wizard like persona. You'd think he'd be embarrassed to admit that he and his cohorts are hiding behind that curtain. They should be making their lives and actions as transparent as possible. Isn't it supposed to be a lay church? Telling us they put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us isn't telling us anything we didn't already know.

They should also come out of their Emerald City and hobnob with the masses. He and his "brothers" would rather eat dirt than sit down and have a sincere conversation with their followers. All their "discussions" are so staged and rehearsed it is difficult to watch.

How generous of him to let us peak behind the curtain. Why not just take the blasted curtain down and be honest. The purpose of the curtain is to have us all suppose he has special powers he does not have. Without the curtain he'd be nothing special.

When he has had a Q & A, he is a master at dodging the questions or passing them over to someone else. He has internalized the idea that he will answer only the question he wants someone to ask rather than answering what that person really wants to know.

What really makes me want to puke is his fake humility. He's usually crowing about how his fellow apostles are so great and he is just a mere mortal doing his best. (MY EYE!) He's so impressed with himself I'd faint if I ever saw him doing the dishes or mopping a floor. If he did do those things I'd know it was just a publicity stunt.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:14PM

"You'd think he'd be embarrassed to admit that he and his cohorts are hiding behind that curtain."

He is so steeped in himself via Mormon secret rituals and doctrines that he probably thinks his wizard's curtain AKA "the veil" is great for doing things that the regular members couldn't stomach.

Many of these men probably like the Wizard of Oz allusions. After all they are trying to help their members get home to Elohim.

They should watch the movie again. A woman and a witch is who makes getting home happen.

Date: November 19, 2019 03:19PM

It would be fun to ask him in a Q&A session how I can train my wife and children to fear me more like the way ‘old worn out Susan’ fears him. How can I train MY wife to stand up only after me? What sort of shaming, and fear instilling techniques should I use? Obviously not violence, right?

Date: November 19, 2019 03:41PM

Ah Susan....

"President Hinckley told Elder Bednar the only person he could tell about his new position was Susan, but she was anxious to share the news with their children.
“I said, ‘Surely we can tell our sons. This is the most important day of your whole life,'” Susan told Elder Bednar. One of their boys was attending Brigham Young University in Provo, another lived in Texas and the third was in North Carolina. Susan wanted them to be in attendance for the announcement the following morning.
“I kept asking and he kept saying no,” Susan says with a smile. “Finally I asked him one more time and he looked at me and said, ‘Martin!'”
Elder Bednar was referring to Martin Harris, one of the first members of the LDS Church who repeatedly asked Joseph Smith if he could show 116 pages of the Book of Mormon to family members. After telling him no a few times, Smith finally agreed to the request and Harris ended up losing the pages.
“I was just trying to be true to what President Hinckley told me to do,” Elder Bednar says with a smile."
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/05/20-years-after-arriving-at-ricks-college-the-bednars-reflect-on-life/

Date: November 20, 2019 04:45AM

Holy Fûck.... just wow. Maybe she is not worn out Susan. Maybe she is just ‘thrown under the bus Susan’. If she had a forum to defend herself I might be less sympathetic to her, but Bedscaivage is brutal in his stories with her. Calling her Martin Harris....she needs to deny his bednards any relief. What a douchebag!

Date: November 20, 2019 03:13PM

Right?

The relationship one has to their kith and kin is secondary to their priesthood leaders. IF more Mormons lived this way there would be so many little Bednards running around.

And here is the irony. IF you read the article on the day before Bednard's ascension the church flew those boys into Salt Lake City.

The Lord couldn't let them know a day or two earlier because...

Who the F knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 03:13PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 02:46PM

Bednar sucks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.