Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 08:06PM

If you enjoy having your mind blown every day,

This forum bans u2ube links [Mod Note - this is incorrect - YouTube is not banned here] but Search U2be for a video from math/scientist Anton Petrov, answers “Are Gravity Waves Responsible For Life?” in a way that makes a whole lot of sense.

Turns out Sagan was right when he said we are all just stardust.

A “Kilanova” is the only thing that can create heavy elements, like Gold. Gravity waves from a gigantic ancient Kilanova are in effect today on Earth pushing plasma together until it forms atoms of carbon needed for carbon based life forms, like us, and molecules, complex, mathematical geometric geodesic structures. Out of carbon.

Without those certain elements pushed together by gravity waves those particular elements required for

DNA.

wouldn’t exist.

The whole universe is vibrating.

We don’t know why.
But it is.

We are just stardust slowed down, by gravity, long enough to matter.

“The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard, who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by 'God,' one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.”
Carl Sagan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2024 09:08PM by Maude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 08:20PM

"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

The Tick

Date: April 12, 2024 09:18PM

Everytime I add a tube link it gets rejected. Tells me it’s a banned word.
When I erase it and repost it. It posts.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 09:23PM

It's a YOU problem.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 09:25PM

Apparently, you are the only one who has that problem.

Date: April 12, 2024 08:40PM

YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH YOUTUBE IN GENERAL. I RECENTLY PUT UP A YT FOR YOU. https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2511326,2511364#msg-2511364

IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH A SPECIFIC LINK SEND IT TO THE MODS IN A REPORT.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 10:10PM

Once something gets lodged in El Gato's brain, it is practically impossible to dislodge it, the Great Attractor being a prime case in point.

Oh, and Gato, it's kilonova. And we are not just stardust slowed down. Nor are we energy slowed down. We are, however, mostly stardust from past exploded stars.

Carbon is not the product of a supernova. It is a typical product of fusion reactions in normal starts - hydrogen fuses to helium, and helium fuses to carbon. That s usually the end of the line, though fusion can create elements up to iron.

Iron is basically the bottom of the well. It takes more energy to fuse elements heavier than iron than the fusion reaction produces. For elements lighter than iron, the fusion reaction requires energy to start, but the reaction releases more energy than it took to start the reaction - that's how a hydrogen bomb works.

Fission reactions are when energy is released when heavy atoms are split into lighter ones. Iron is the bottom element for that as well. Below iron, fission takes more energy to happen than is released by the fission. But I digress.

The elements heavier than iron are made in supernovae, so all the heavier elements in our bodies came from exploding stars, i.e. stardust. The lighter elements got scattered around by a supernova, but they existed for the most part before the star exploded.

Details, start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_nucleosynthesis

Date: April 13, 2024 12:00AM

Okay but how does magic underwear work?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 05:57PM

And how do magnets work ?

Date: April 14, 2024 07:02PM

Are you talking about JS? Brass balls are non-magnetic.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 09:20PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 10:21PM

"Electromagnetic waves go on to infinity...infinity is God...God, infinity, all the same..."

The Outer Limits -- "The Galaxy Being"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKO_mEAz24k

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 10:55PM

"Once you understand the
laws of nature, betting
on the horses is easy!"

--Trotter, from the movie, "Let it Ride," which
                    laid bare the secrets of the Universe

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 11:25AM

No. God is the projection on the cosmic screen of each person's individual world view.

Most (but not all) humans have a psychological need for there to be something 'out there", something beyond the empirical experience. They never find any actual proof. But their need is so strong that they invent an unseen world. And that world is so comforting that they cannot imagine living without it. So they make it unassailable. They call it "holy". Then you can't challenge it if it is holy.

This is why God always wins- because God is a psychological need. Whatever happens, the basic need is always present. And this is why there are so many religions, because each individual creates their own God that nobody else can ever experience. And that's how we have the mess we see today.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 07:52PM

People anthropomorphize God. They anthropomorphize his qualities. He is good, he is loving, he is forgiving. Or conversely, he is a judgmental asshat.

There is a vintage TV show called, "Saving Grace." It's a favorite of mine. The lead role was played by Holly Hunter. In the show, Grace has a guardian angel assigned to her. Only she can see him. The guy is a regular bloke with a lot of common-sense wisdom. He often does not know why things turn out the way they do. He trusts God but can't always explain God's ways. The personage of God, who shows up rarely, is played by a dog. When he does show up, he just sits there as a silent witness.

Date: April 13, 2024 03:14PM

Is god just that gigantic invisible spider on your back that only I can see ?

Date: April 13, 2024 03:38PM

Spider, schmider. God is an invisible centipede. Whatever god has the most legs wins. Eight legs, just pathetic.

Date: April 13, 2024 03:47PM

Good point.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 07:25PM

oh gravity, make it stop.

didn't work, seems gravity isn't god.

Date: April 13, 2024 08:03PM

Imagine setting up a race course in a binary planetary system where gravity was the only source of motive power, and you had to calculate a path through the two stars, the various planets, their moons, and all the available asteroids to get from the starting point to the end of the course, and it started with four team members pushing their gravity racer down an incline to get started...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 08:40PM

Was that your Eagle Scout project?

Date: April 13, 2024 09:10PM

C'mon!!!  You know full well that I grew up before there was gravity...

Date: April 13, 2024 09:44PM

> . . . it started with four team members
> pushing their gravity racer down an incline to get
> started...

You're the only man I know who would start a campaign of interplanetary exploration like a pinewood derby.

Date: April 13, 2024 10:13PM

You may have a ticket out of the TK if Kolob needs a celestial golf course designer.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 02:54PM

A friend who was a ranger at Grand Canyon would warn people standing too close to the rim, "You know the law of gravity is the one law that is strictly enforced here."

So if God is just gravity maybe he's more Old Testament than New.

Date: April 14, 2024 04:29PM

That is so funny Shinehah. He sounds like someone I would like as a friend too :)

Date: April 14, 2024 03:23PM

How does one measure the gravity of a situation?

Date: April 14, 2024 04:18PM

The gravity of a situation is inversely proportional to the amount of gravy on your tie.

Date: April 14, 2024 05:00PM

What is the measure of your groovity?

Date: April 14, 2024 06:22PM

Depends on the specific gravity you had in mind.

Date: April 14, 2024 04:38PM

Is God just Gravy ?

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 11:46PM

I've had a burning sensation in my bosom from gravy before. But Tums conquered that God.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 11:21AM

Ah yes. The gravity of the burning bosom syndrome.

Date: April 14, 2024 06:55PM

Suppose God is some process that transmutes elements through gravitational collapse. How do you get from a snake tempting a nudist couple to eat some fruit to that?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 11:24PM

Gravity creates stars and planets. It creates atmospheres. We don't know precisely how it works, so it has mysterious ways.It's both real and invisible. It's good if you like breathing, but bad if you step off a cliff.

I think it qualifies as a deist God.It's steady as clockwork.

Date: April 14, 2024 11:29PM

Gravity is all about Mass...  

Therefore, gravity is Catholic.

Date: April 15, 2024 12:02AM

I fear, good friend, that with logic like that no one will ever accuse you of having graduated from . . .

E/C^2 . (-1)^(1/2) . PV/nR

. . . although some may think the PV/nR is relevant to your personal behavior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2024 12:04AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 12:00PM

*quietly snickers*

HH =)

Date: April 15, 2024 12:04AM

Today's Sunday School lesson
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgKf7IHQPkY

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 05:19AM

Gravity not only sees the sparrow fall, it causes the sparrow to fall. I rest my case.

Date: April 15, 2024 12:48AM

If you ever get the sudden urge to run around naked, stop and sniff some Windex first... it'll keep you from streaking!

Date: April 15, 2024 02:02AM

GROAN!

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 11:59AM

English is hard. We get it.

HH =)

Date: April 15, 2024 06:28PM

Let's keep an open mind. Couldn't God be the light inside your refrigerator?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 18, 2024 08:16AM

Date: April 17, 2024 04:52PM

I went to the dentist yesterday.

As a reward to myself for not dropping the "Comfort Teddybear" they gave me to hold, I allowed myself to yield to temptation and went to the Baskins-Robbins next to the dentist's office, and ordered a medium root beer freeze.  Yum!!, right!!!

Then the cashier said, "$7.40."  Good thing I wasn't still holding the "Comfort Teddybear"!!

Today I stopped at WalMart, on a totally unscheduled shopping trip and got two 1/2 gallon containers of vanilla ice cream and a two-liter A&W Root Beer ... all for $8.11.

I've already had the equivalent of yesterday's root beer freeze and I estimate I've got the makings of at least another five or six units, and I know I'm being conservative, and there's going to be ice cream left over.

So what's the deal with this outrageous, to the point of stupid, upward price spiraling?!

Date: April 17, 2024 05:06PM

Ice cream is for Presidents.

Date: April 17, 2024 05:42PM

>>So what's the deal with this outrageous, to the point of stupid, upward price spiraling?

It's not all actual inflation. Inflation is being blamed to gouge the heck out of consumers. We know this based on corporate earning, CEO and board salaries, stock buy backs, etc. It's no secret the gap between the rich and poor is growing. Greedflation is here because corporations can get away with it. As long as they get tax breaks, limited regulations, and monopoly protection, their zillions of lobbyists can protect them.

Somewhere there is a billionaire robber baron who needs a bigger yacht or new bunker. What is he supposed to do when people demand a living wage and people like you complain about paying double for ice cream?

I shouldn't complain because corporate profits are benefiting me too, but my kids and the younger generation are especially getting screwed.

This is one of my favorite topics to complain about.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:57PM

We could solve many issues by not buying the product, which would force the hand of the corporation. (New Subject: Elasticity)

But unfortunately, people think that SUV is a must have, and they are consuming things that really have no benefit at all. Example: Do you really need that designer lamp? All you need is a post with a socket attached to hold the light bulb. You can see the same image on a 32 Inch Screen instead of a 144 Inch Screen, etc. etc.

Date: April 17, 2024 06:07PM

I agree. I'm a lot more aware and careful about what I buy and who it benefits.

I'm making more of an effort to notice packaging and avoid what plastic I can.

I'm more apt to read the fine print on things.

I try to pay attention to quality of workmanship and where it was made.

It is exhausting though.

Half the stuff in Walmart is cheap plastic crap that will break and end up in a landfill in 6 months

Plus, I'm old and I already have too much stuff I can't get rid of! Use it up, wear it out is a good rule, IMO.

Date: April 18, 2024 06:32AM

"Greedflation is here because corporations can get away with it."

In a turbulent economy there are going to be some who make out like bandits. I think what we're seeing is the pricing of uncertainty. Companies can't run lean and mean, they have to factor in economic risk.

The steady rise in the price of gold the last few weeks is spooky because it may mean those who usually rig that market can't do it anymore. So, what other markets can no longer be rigged? We may be subject to market fundamentals once again which would mean the mother of all corrections.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:49PM

God is testing your faith.

He wants to see if you will fall over or resist gravity when they say that will be $7.40

Date: April 17, 2024 11:37PM

I'm not sure if it applies, but could God be the cause of sagging boobs?

Date: April 19, 2024 02:09AM

I like my dental hygienist. I think she's very pretty. Before I get my teeth cleaned I eat an entire bag of oreos.

Posted by: Ipo ( )
Date: April 19, 2024 07:35AM

as I was some years ago, enlightened by the great prophet, George Carlin.

(OK I don't pray much at all, but when I do, it's the Big Electron.)

Date: April 19, 2024 09:51AM

Gravity never let me down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.